Thursday, November 11, 2010

From Rosa Maria (by Holly)

On the very first leg of my very first trip to Argentina, I met a woman named Rosa Maria. She was traveling from Seattle back to Houston, TX where she would then head south to Mexico. We were sitting next to one another on the plane, and I was confident enough with my Spanish to engage her in conversation. I told her I was on my way to Buenos Aires where I would be studying Spanish for the next few months, and she was surprised and impressed that someone like me wanted to learn Spanish. She told me about her time in Seattle, and before we disembarked she handed me a note:

Photobucket

Photobucket

July 27, 2006

My best wishes accompany you on this journey of new experiences. May light illuminate your life so that you achieve all that you desire, and may whatever God in which you believe protect you, care for you and be your guide. These are my wishes.

Your traveling companion,
Rosa Maria
Mexico



Kind people like Rosa Maria exist all over the world, and my belief is that the United States ought to embrace and welcome Spanish/English bilingual education. Rosa Maria didn't speak any English, but that didn't stop me from getting to know a lovely human being while trapped in a flying tin can. That brief exchange between two travelers was a poignant moment in my journey, and it gave me confidence to face the long road ahead of me. I will always remember Rosa Maria. She is a Latina, a woman and a gentle soul, and she reinforced my desire to become bilingual.

No comments:

Post a Comment